Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Sunday, July 31, 2005

A Jolt like a thunderbolt

The mobile kept ringing as I sat staring at it unseeing. It took few minutes before I was rudely jolted of the reverie by another call. Apparently from the same person. It was my flat-mate from his girlfriends place. And in a positively belligerent tone, he asked me, 'What the f*** are you doing so important that you couldn't pick the damn phone'. 'Nothing', I replied and my choked voice and tearful tone set the alarm bells go and in a concerned tone he asked me if everything was alright. In spite of me saying everything is fine, he rushed home sensing that everything was anything but fine.

He was greeted with my wails of 'XXXXX died' and he gave me one look. Who??? I could see him rack his brains trying to figure out who I was talking about. Maybe even feeling guilty that he couldn't remember someone whose death has so obviously shaken his dear friend. And then he saw me point at the book. And then... Well! Shit happens.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood prince rocks!!!

Sure, for a Potter fan this is no news! It doesn't matter. The narration was engaging and suspenseful, the ending heart-rending. I CRIED!!! (I am not disclosing who dies). HP&HBP is one of the most complete books that I have read in recent times.

Unlike the 'Boy-who-lived' who was so larger than life, that I was afraid to relate myself with him, the 'Chosen-one' is earthy, who just happened to have fame and responsibilty thrust on him. Somehow the teenager Harry (despite being the prick he was in Order of Phoenix) is more easy to connect to in HBP. Ron and Hermione are delightful, as usual.

For all you critics who believe JK Rowling is all about hype and marketing strategem... think again! Read HP&HBP. And my sympathies to all those hypocrites out there who wouldn't touch a Harry Potter book because it is 'Kids stuff'. You just don't know what you are missing. This is no more kids book than Lord of the rings.

As for the fans who like me have been anxiously awaiting this book, HBP delivers and worth 'squandering'(???) a fine sunny day sitting indoors reading and even being called a 'geek', 'baby' and 'bookworm'.

p.s. Undying gratitude to my colleague who lent me the book.

3 comments:

Shashi Iyer said...

if u say so...!!!

(Mis)Chief Editor said...

thalivaa.....

ennaamo solren.....naan try panni ezhuthu kooti padichu pakkuren:-)

Speech is Golden said...

ranganatha!

Harry Potter & Half Blood Prince without reading the previous parts will not be *so* interesting. Ezhuthu kooti padichalum, ella partaiyum padi thalaiva!

shashi!

good to c u able to chk blog in hostel