Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I grew wings

The azure sky was clear - no clouds in sight. The windsock was down and the sun was bright. The far mountain had a white cap; snow from the week of particularly cold weather. But today, today it was a fine day. Just as the Forecast had predicted. The black ground whizzed under me as I soared. I was FLYING.

There is one thing that has never ceased to fascinate man - flight. I needn't remind readers that it took man a very long time (and innumerable efforts including tying a piece of cloth like wings) before he could fly. And he has been perfecting the art for the last hundred odd years.

My awe at flying has over the years transformed in to something quite similar to passion. Especially after I completed my Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering. So, quite obviously when an oppurtunity to fly arose, I just couldn't say NO.


The chance presented itself when one of the lecturers at my place asked me if I could do some teaching assistance for his "Introduction to Flight". As a part of getting acquainted he offered to take me flying (it is a part of Flight Lab). And I jumped. The flight was just under two hours long and we flew around Canberra, nearby towns and the wilderness.

The Cessna that we flew in transformed itself in to a Time Machine. I saw the world as it should have been hundreds of years back. Barren lands as far as the eye could see with one cluster of houses here and another cluster there. The bush, the mountains, the outback. The horizon. The end of the world. I was in a trance and only the drone of the engines prevented me from journeying from this world.

It was by far, a levitating experience. I am flying.

2 comments:

(Mis)Chief Editor said...

kokku para para
kozhi para para
maina para para
'sig' para para:-)

Speech is Golden said...

remember no cinema!!! hhhehhhheee