Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Naan Madras Suththi saapida Poren

Hurray People! I am coming to Madras (why is "Chennai" so difficult to say).

A month back, I was reluctant to get my tickets to India - buying them for October or November would seal the issue: I could not go any earlier. The 'fantasy' that I could go sooner would collapse; castles cave in. But the wait was enough. Accepted that my fantasy wasn't rational, sigh!!! Decided that I'll take my break (I am eligible for 20 days vacation per year... only 20 days. Grrr. Is there any Human Rights Actvist reading this) in October so I can spend the Navarathri - Deepavali period home. Informed my supervisor and received his blessings (a major achievement). Excitement overwhelmed me as tickets were blocked for October 7th and it wasn't curbed by the airfare the Travel agent quoted- $1200 for return...hmmm good price - steal deal.

The wheels have been set in motion. A shopping schedule has been planned (to coincide with my scholarship) and prices, deals, shops, etc. for gifts are being thoroughly researched. The Travel Agent has been reminded to get me "Asian Vegetarian" meals on board. Mails have been despatched to all the near and dear about the trip (and many of the N&D haven't responded yet...grrrrrr). Last year, Deepavali was a major dud, a disaster. I had exam the next morning. Plans are also being hatched for this Deepavali in Chennai :). With ear-splitting 1000-walas and soaring rockets.

I am so looking forward to the trip. After being in exile for a year and a half, I am returning to Chennai (for a short-holiday only :(( ). Come October and I'll be sailing through the pot-holed Madras roads, eating Sambhar Vadai and Masala Dosai in Saravana Bhavan, guggling Filter Coffee (besh! besh! Coffee na filter coffee thaan), stuffing myself with home-made Vengaya Veththa Kuzhambu and Urulai Fry, visiting the Marina - just to eat Samosas, Bhel Puri or Pav Bhaji, and eat and drink the numerous things (Shri Krishna sweets Mysurpa, Mithai Shoppe Kaju Khatli, Venkateswara Boli Stall Thattai, ad infinitum) that I have missed the last eighteen months. Will also be visiting the numerous Periappas, Athais and cousins and sure to be welcomed like a war-hero and fed like a bull, watsay???

Readers are bound to think of me as "Saapaatu Rama" but truly Chennai isn't Chennai without its mouth-watering, levitating, stirring-the-senses food. Yes, people. FOOD.

Readers are also bound to remind me that October is a long way away. But let me tell something to you... SCREW YOU!

3 comments:

Ram C said...

Octoberla porathukku ippavee countdown aarambichaachaa?

Speech is Golden said...

hhhehhhhheee! Vera enna seiya. Vootu naabagam.

Anonymous said...

அன்புள்ள கார்த்திக் அவர்களுக்கு,

(wel)come அக்டோபர்!

என்றும் அன்புடன்,
ரங்கநாதன்