Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Friday, June 24, 2005

Mayakkam thantha Tamizh, Amudhu, Kavi

All around the blog world, people tag each other; to know their fellow-bloggers' interests, favourites - in books, songs, movies, and what not. I am still new to the blog world and haven't 'taggers' and so I decided to tag myself (How sick can one get!!!).

And the first instalment - SONGS, the ones with wordings that even I, with my notorious memory (see I am named RAM - I have volatile, strictly short-term memory only) can remember.

1. Paarthaley Paravasam – Sugama

Sirumai kandu thaviththen , en siragil onrai muriththen
Orrai siragil oonapparavai ethanai dhooram parappen


Truly, there cannot be a better way of expressing this particular situation – of an estrangement caused by unfaithfulness

2. Sethu – Vaarthai Thavarivittal

Boomiyin thevathai puzhuthi mann moodalamo

Made one feel as if the whole world was at its end – what powerful words. If it didn’t melt a heart, it was no heart.

3. Duet – En Kadhale

Amudhenbatha, Vishamenbatha, Idhu Amudhavisham enbatha

A perfect question about love. Is it good at all? Is my lover my greatest strength or my greatest weakness?


4. Five Star – Enkirundhu Vandhayada

Oruvar vaazhum ulagil mounam thane paechu…
Vizhakalil ival thaniththu nirkiral, Kanakkalil thinam vizhiththirukkiral

Brings the essence of a forlorn heart – totally alone even in the midst of a crowd

5. Vaanam Vasapadume – Uyire Uyire

Marumurai en thaayin karuvaraikkulle naan irupathu pol ennam varugiradhe

The joy and security of being in love


6. Uyire – Nenjinile

Vaanila naanume mugil eduthu kanmoodume

Though, Vairamuthu had recycled his earlier works in this song, the ‘intimacy’ of the song was enchanting

7. Bombay – Alla Gulla

Kaanaththane kangal, kaneer sindha illai…
…Vaazhathane Vaazhkai, Veezhvatharkku illai,
Vellaththane Veeram, Kollvatharkku Illai


Simple verse, elegant meaning

8. Alaipayuthey – Snehithane

Nee azhumpodhu naan azha naerndhal, thudaikkinra viral vendum

The concept of "Rahasiya Snehithane" itself was endearing and this line was my only solace during a period when I couldn't cry.


********


Shouldn't just say that only thoughtfully written, 'pregnant' with meaning lyrics were unforgettable. Some silly ones too were for their frivolity linger in my RAM. For instance -

9. Kaadhalan – Kaathalikkum pennin
Sinthum vervai theertham aagum, Chinna paarvai mokshamagum

10. Boys – Girlfriend
hach enral kerchief neetta, icch enral idam kannam kaata

11. Mudhalavan - Shakalaka Baby
iyantharathu kadaikuttiyaa... nee meesai vaitha chedi kodi yaa; ki.mu vil piranthavanaa

p.s. I would do great injustice if I fail to mention Kaviarasu Kannadhasan here. Lets just say that, to keep the blog within reasonable length I have considered Post Kannadhasan era only (We have a scarcity of good ones in the PK era where one needs to jog his memory to find a poignant song).

I acknowledge his genius and my respect for his works is boundless.

3 comments:

Ram C said...

this is a good list of songs, ram.

I like the 'alai payudhee' number very much, eventhough I have not included in my list.

Speech is Golden said...

Thanx Ram.

I missed heaps of good songs in the short list. Like "Kalyana Maalai" (PuthuPuthu Arthangal), "Enna Satham"(PunnagaiMannan), "Valaiyosai"(Sathya), "Pani vizhum malar vanam", "Nalam Vazha"(Marupadiyum) and lot more. (I remember to have seen some of it in ur list). But in the list were songs that I am listening to right now and find amazing.

Anonymous said...

அன்புள்ள கார்த்திக் அவர்களுக்கு,

ஜுன் 24 - கவிதை பிறந்த நாள் அன்று 'தமிழ்க்கவிதை' பற்றி எழுதியதோடு அல்லாமல், கவியரசுவிற்குப் பாராட்டுப் பத்திரம் வாசித்தமைக்கு நன்றியோ நன்றி !

ஜுன் 24 - கவியரசு பிறந்த தினமய்யா!

என்றும் அன்புடன்,
ரங்கநாதன்