Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Best of 06

First post of 2007 and what better way to usher in the new year by remembering all that was great about the year gone by.

Blogging: Been surprisingly regular in my posts, overtaking the 62 posts of last year with 65 in 2006. That figure is a lot less impressive when you consider that I had only 7 months to pile up the 62 last year. Ah! well, a healthy average of over 5 posts a month. Can't really complain. The quality of the posts though is entirely a different matter. I would like to believe it is no worse than it was.

Reading: Like Priya, I did remember Shashi Tharoor writing in a column that he read 365 books in a year. My target was less lofty. Wanted to read one a week and bring the tally to 52 but failed. Managed only 45 (I kept count). But it included some huge tomes like Shantaram (which was around 1000 pages - my wrists hurt for a week just lugging this book around), Fountainhead (which would have to be the best book I read this year followed closely by Midnight's children). I actually read quite a few of the 'haven't you read it yet's that ideally I should have read a couple of years ago. Fountainhead, Midnight's children, English August, Lord of the Rings, Foundation trilogy and several more. Lets see if I can make the magic 52 this year.

Traveling: Loved Brisbane and Gold coast. Best trip of the year (and ever). The long drive, the adventurous camping, the crazy rides in the theme parks and the company makes it that. Couple of trips to Sydney (actually more than a couple, half a dozen, I think), the Blue Mountains, the coast last summer and a few bushwalking expeditions throughout the year were all memorable experiences.

Movies: Despite several disappointments (Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu and KANK topping that list), the year stands out for RDB, by far the best Indian movie I saw in 06. Saw some amazing world cinema. Was introduced to the quirky French humour with classics, Le diner de cons and Le placard (and just about everybody has watched Amelie). Also enjoyed multilingual films like L'auberge espagnole and Va, vie et deviens (both French productions).

2006 was also a year of politics. Thought provoking movies like Syriana and Good night and Good luck (both Clooney ones), Who killed the electric car and Munich provoked thought.

TV: Usually this doesn't even feature in my list of great things. Soapy soaps aren't my forte. Was introduced to 'How I met your mother' which I think is the next best thing after Friends and 'House' which is the ultimate in Medical Drama this year and am loving it. In the words of Barney, it was Lege- wait for it- Legendary.


There sure were other things about 2006 that was awesome. But I am sparing you, my impatient readers and will not share them with you. Looking forward to an even greater 2007, what say you?

6 comments:

Lalita said...

Missus Em says, more fiction pieces, more frequent posts, for choice. How about twice a week? pretty please?

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great 2006...Will surely watch and comment on your blog this 2007 ...

Anonymous said...

what about all those facinating trips to Ngunnawal mate? ;-)

wanderlust said...

ah, i hope this comment gets published.. i've tried not less than five times since this post came up to comment, but thanks to the net conn here, something always manages to go wrong, or i flunk the word verification.
just reading about your travel brings out the wanderlust in me, and i want to keep up that resolution i made to take not less than two treks this year.
happy 2007 to you... hope it's even more eventful, enjoyable and prosperous than 2006
priya from the numbskulls
[trying out the blogger beta account]

Speech is Golden said...

Ngunnawal trips are fascinating?

Priya/Wanderlust: Good luck with the resolution. Any idea on good places to trek in India.

Anonymous said...

trekking in india.. there's coorg/kodagu in karnataka... awesome place for treks. and there are many more places in k'taka in the western ghats like kudremukh and dandeli which are really good in terms of trekking and adventure sports [more so, dandeli]. dunno too much about other parts, but i think the northeast is wonderful when it's not under intense gunfire.