Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Horses and other horse crap

Delta Blue won the Melbourne Cup yesterday. If you ask Delta who?, all I can say is that it is a Japanese horse that ran the historical 3200m at Flemington to rake in $3.85 million. The race also proved that not only Japanese cars but horses as well are the best in the world. Not bad, uh? The irony of the race is that the japanese horse won by a nose-length. (If you didn't get it, it was a Japanese horse. Still didn't get it... can't help you mate)

'So what??', one may wonder. Melbourne Cup is a national event in Australia, followed by pretty much everyone in the country (and many overseas). Nearly 2.3 million Australians watched it on TV. Why! it is a public holiday in Melbourne. The total betting involved is estimated to be near $140 million. So, it is real big. Huge.

That of course, doesn't mean I get it.

Now for some horse crap. Watched 'Manathodu Mazhaikalam'. This movie made me want to throw up. I can't imagaine they let them make movies like this. If they had too much money, they could give it to charity. Why! I would be more than willing to take it off them. Just don't make movies like these. Please. Have seen a string of disappointments. Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu failed to impress. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehnaa was spectacularly irritating. (I used to adore Shah Rukh but now he gets on my nerves). Contrast that against the last three English movies I watched. 'Three burials of Melquiades Estrada', 'Crash' and 'The Pianist'. Incomparable.

I could say more about the deplorable state of Indian cinema but Mani's Guru isn't far-off and I'll not make any hasty judgements. btw, looks like they had a pre-launch function, whatever that is supposed to mean. Heres to Guru.

No comments: