Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Music

Came across this immensely talented group in YouTube. I think they are called the Yogi B and Natchatiras.



Personally I am no big fan of Rap/Hip-hop music, though I'm compelled to listen to it (a lot of it) in my friend's car stereo. I know Eminem from The Black Eyed Peas. That is as much as my initiation goes. I particularly dislike the generous dosage of profanities (most times, those are the only words I can make out).

Still, the Natchatiras impress me with their sheer innovation(for Tamil music); a new sound. The blending of 1980's Ilaiyaraaja's Madai Thiranthu with hip-hop rhythms has been executed well.

A must-see... a must-buy (I wonder if I can get my hands on their album, here in Australia. Anyone with info here??? )

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool video, i wonder if this group is is from s'pore/malaysia, but as you pointed out, immensely talented..

Ayshu said...

Been hearing a lot abt this lately!!

Anonymous said...

sounds good, looks good, too!

Anonymous said...

There are also other groups in Malaysia who make awesome tamil music. You can find in them in the youtube.For starters try chakrasonic,lockup,hyperkinetik.

Anonymous said...

lockup's featured in this one.... it's called yogi b and natchathira feat lockup.

Speech is Golden said...

Vijay!
Yup! They are from Malaysia.


Anon!
Chakrasonic looks OK. Couldn't find anything of Hyperkinetik on youtube. will keep looking

priya!
glad u liked it.

ayshu!
i dunno if they r getting popular outside of the web community

Anonymous said...

Hi all! I like this music and make me proud to be Malaysian for this moment :-) Well-Done for Yogi B-Natchatra!

Anonymous said...

Hey. Stumbled upon your blog. These guys are making us Malaysian so proud. Couldn't help myself promoting them a lil' bit more. =) Visit www.vallavan.com.my. Also, read more about them. This article was featured in a Malaysian newspaper.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/Sunpeople/Sunday/Features/20060930124835/Article/index2_html

Ok then. Have a nice day !

Anonymous said...

Hi Karthik. Hopefully this link helps:

http://esnips.com/web/yogib

I am not a fan of hiphop, but this album got me hooked ever since I listened to Madai Thirunthe. The songs are being played to death everyday on our indian airways and the album is getting a very good recognition among the Malaysian Indians.

Anonymous said...

these guys are crazy...i actually ran into them in malaysia while i was there on vacation.....these guys are very talented and have potential.....they are in a group named fat&black....i hope you guys go big one day!!!:D:D