Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

From the Ashes

Sporting events are infinitely more popular in Australia than in India. Granted, that most cricket matches are sold out in India and followed closely by one and all. But it is only cricket that has such strong following. Here, people would turn out in numbers to watch anything, even Lawn Bowls. So, it was no surprise when the tour opener of Ashes, played in Canberra drew a full house. I had an amazing view, seated close to the sightscreen. Why! I could judge LBW appeals from where I sat (that one pitched outside off. No way he is getting a wicket)

The match between the Prime Ministers XI and the visiting team every summer is a Canberran tradition. A tradition held as dear as the Boxing Day test. And when it is the Poms, it is somehow more special.

Last year, the Freddie-led Poms had managed to regain the Ashes after 16 years. Quite undeservingly if you ask me. Revenge was in the lips of every Aussie cricket lover. And boy! what a welcome we gave them.

Fielding a full side, England lost the tour opener to a PM's XI team that did not boast of even one experienced international player, by a margin of 166 runs. Fringe players, Phil Jacques and Shaun Tait proved their mettle with the bat and ball respectively. The star batsmen, Trescothick, Pietersen and Flintoff were tamed, bowlers Giles and Mahomood were slaughtered, hit all around the park.

If it was any indication of things to come, this Ashes series is going to be a no-contest. In the best interests of cricket, I hope it isn't so that we all can enjoy a stimulating series.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

This may well be a great perspective on the Ashes series. I would like to invite you to read and comment on some posts on my blog.

Please visit me if you are interested.

http://stoicalcreations.blogspot.com

Lalita said...

Good post. But do a short story again, please?

Anonymous said...

Yes. Short story again. Please?