Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Graham Bell turns in his grave

If you think life is all hunky dory bed-of-roses, try sharing office space (and telephone) with newly weds. In my office, (OK! not office, just postgrad room) dubbed 'The Stress Lounge', there are, not one but three married guys. Between the three, they get/make 30 calls on an average. That is more than one call per hour per person (c.p.h). And given that phone conversations can last upto an hour, they are pretty much on the phone all the time. (If you were trying to call me and got a busy tone, now you know why). How they get any work done is beyond me.

Yes! telephone is a great invention and mobile phones are a technological marvel. But, seriously!

And then there is this 'In love' group. I have a friend, another of the Stress Loungers, who pretty much lives with his girlfriend. He occassionally drops by to visit his room for a few minutes. From time to time. Mostly to get his clothes and stuff. In spite of that, he spends half-an-hour on the phone with his girlfriend. Every single day. He calls her in the evening at say, 5:30 and speaks till 6 only to leave for her place at 6:30. For chrissakes, they said goodbyes for a quarter-hour (this is perhaps the cliché of clichés). Why someone would do that fails me. If he had to coo in her ears, couldn't he do it in person. Do we need a telephone to love? (Or maybe love is cooed in person as well)

Ask them the reason and they will tell you it is something that you wouldn't understand unless you were in love yourself. Bah! (I am beginning to buy this argument. This friend was ridiculing the 'In love On phone' syndrome for a long long time and now, wham! he is a convert).

I don't deny that I am a romantic at heart, and as a gesture, making a call to tell the person you love that you are thinking of them even in the middle of a busy day is sweet. But, everyday!!!???

The things people do to express their undying love! Huh! Either I am rational, levelheaded and sane or plain jealous.

6 comments:

Ayshu said...

:-)Even I do not get that..Plus if you wanan talk personal that pls use ur mobile!Another category are those who talk so loudle on their mobile phones oblivious to the fact that everyuone gets to know about their fights etc etc..They just dont care!

Speech is Golden said...

cudn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm not alone! girls in my hostel talk on the phone with their beaus for hours on end every day. the part that irks me is HOURS ON END EVERYDAY. like how much will you have to say to each other, especially if you keep meeting up everyday?
and it's really painful listening to their boring conversations... oh, man! someone ban hutch!

Speech is Golden said...

autophytes invernesshire priya!

i blame the phone companies too... with all their free talktime deals, they make bozos of us all.

Vijay said...

One the other extreme, there are people who won’t respond to calls / sms even while hell breaks loose.

heights ??!!!

Speech is Golden said...

ah! vijay... nice to see you frequenting my comments page. i am honoured.

while i admit tht it can be irritating for one to wait for a msg/call... i am tempted to forgive the call-evader as long as he doesn't owe me money