Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Monday, May 15, 2006

A few musings

1. Like many, I am very disappointed with the TN election results. For one, I was hoping that Lok Paritran would do better than what it did. Of course I would totally agree that what they did achieve is worthy of praise. Everyone knew that it would be extremely difficult for them to win even one of the 7 constituencies (life is not Aayutha Ezhuthu) but I expected more support from the general public(surprise winner of 2006 elections- Vijayakanth's DMDK. Come on!!! LP can do better for the people than any **MK) . They got 690 votes in Chepauk. And Santhanagopalan has repeatedly pleaded with Chennai voters for a turnout of atleast 80%. Nope, can't do.

2. And voting down Jayalalitha, to me simply means the Tamil voters have not changed a wee bit - always dissatisfied and always voting against the party in power. Fine! but do you really think it is going to be any different with DMK. And next elections, they will vote ADMK into power. And keep alternating like this forever. Bah!

3. Politics aside, I had some bad news from India - a friend of mine was being forced into an arranged marriage. She has pleaded against it with her parents but they simply want her to marry the guy they have chosen. Her dad spoke to me on the phone and tells me 'We finalised her marriage. Will you attend it?'. Apparently her consent doesn't matter (she doesn't even know the guy's name and is simply NOT INTERESTED). What troubles me is that she has little choice. What is the alternative? She can run away from home, which would bring great shame on the family and devastate her parents. She doesn't want to do that. Take a stand, do sathyagraha, not eat, cry, which is not going to work. Emotional blackmail works - which is what her parents are using right now, threatening suicide if she doesn't comply. So what is the alternative????

4. Amidst all this bitterness, something good - Sujatha's new Ganesh-Vasanth series has begun in AnandhaVikatan - 'Silvia'. Read it this morning and I am so looking forward to it now, I can't wait for a week to know how 'Silvia' goes. (I am very impatient when it comes to weekly series but the thrill of waiting to know what happens adds to the joy of reading)

7 comments:

Shashi Iyer said...

i'm trying to get on into an intensive tamil improvement programme.
p.s: some non-politics for other souls, please.

Shashi Iyer said...

ok. i'm not insensitive. but if u were not personally involved, would it matter this much? of course u can do nothing abt it. she can. dunno if she'll do, though.

Speech is Golden said...

Shash! No more politics for a while. Atleast the election fever is over and there will be less and less of politics discussed here. I promise.

Glad you are in a Tamil Improvement Programme - try reading some of Sujatha's works. For me, I started loving Tamil only after I read Sujatha and Kalki's works.

Speech is Golden said...

Priya!

I wouldn't have had such a keen interest in Politics but for Lok Paritran. Of course some part of every Indian abroad yearns for the betterment of his country and her people.

Don't worry too much abt losing touch with few things - if they r meant to be had u wud.

As for my friend, I really wish there was something I could do, other than console. I feel so helpless.

Speech is Golden said...

Shash!

It wud still affect me if it wasn't my friend but I may not feel this pain.

She can and she will, if God so wills.

Shashi Iyer said...

god? lets hope

itsme said...

Hey Just dropped in to say... That i agree with those last points of yours... that u hav commented in my blog. Hmmm thanks a lot for visiting mine... I justed updated mine now - but its mainly crap...