Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Thursday, May 26, 2005

The costliest Birthday party!

Readers need not be deceived into believing that I am talking about Madam.Jayalalitha's birthday bash or Superstar Rajni's. I am talking of my own Birthday yesterday, which left me 4000 rupees (A$120) poorer. It all started with a simple, "Why don't we go out for dinner on my B'day?". The invitee list soon swelled to six (one of them didn't turn up) and a "ROYAL" dinner at Jehangir - one of the better Indian restaurants in Canberra, ensued. And no less than the Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs dined in the next table. Needless to say, that is how I found myself poorer. I should add that the company was worth every cent of it and the event no less. And it made me happy (considering my turbulent mind the past week very very happy - which is the whole purpose of celebration). Perhaps I wouldn't host a birthday party again - as one of my friends at the dinner commented, I have outgrown the age where the passing of a year is a cause of cheer.

Yes! It was the costliest birthday party. I lost the right to celebrate (cheerfully) one anymore. Oh! the passing of years.

3 comments:

Ram C said...

After your marriage, whether you celebrate your birthday or not.. wait for your wife's and better celebrate nicely..don't bother about $$$$..

Speech is Golden said...

A piece of wisdom that I shall know the true value of only after I forget my wife's birthday once, suffer the consequence and learn the lesson. Or can't I dare at all?

Shashi Iyer said...

spend as u wish, with no qualms but never look back!

p.s. u write fantastically