Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Solidarity

I am not directly affected by the Indian government's ban of blogger. It is not that I am unaffected. If you consider that my trusted readership isn't able to access my blog or comment about my very insightful posts, there is considerable impact. Still, there are shortcuts and I got my regular quota of comments. So I have nothing to complain about.

So, I'll just share my sympathies with my fellow bloggers. I stand with you in your struggle to babble freely. (I'll also take this an opportunity to promote my blog. Unhindered by any government agency, updated for your reading pleasure... rkram.blogspot.com. Visit it today *echo* today today today dling ring)

I would dearly like to believe that the government has some reason for hindering access to blogs. I would give anything to believe that blogs posed a threat to national security. There can be several other reasons that I can think of for the government's reaction.

The most likely one is that the present government felt threatened by the growing popularity of, yes, *gasps* my blog. If I can sustain this momentum I would be the unanimous choice for primeminister by next elections and they needed to prevent that from happening. At any cost.

Also possible is that government has a tacit deal with blog hosts like blogger.com to popularise this alternate media. Nothing sells like negative publicity.

Another likely scenario was when Head of DoT went to meet the Chief of NSA. This particular chief was an avid blogger and was at that time reading an interesting article in blogspot during office hours (as most office-goers over the rank of managers do). He was so impressed with the blog post that he turned to the DoT guy and said, "I am gonna blog this". The DoT guy who was hard of hearing, heard it as "I am gonna block this". So he went back to his office, changed his blog from blogger to wordpress and then issued orders to 'block' blogger. And that my dear friends is how it all happened.

11 comments:

Lalita said...

So that's what happened? Thanks for giving us the inside story.

Seriously, good of you to post so quickly about it. It seems things are back to normal, but we should make the DoT accountable.

Tell us why?

Anonymous said...

things are back to normal, but people in software co.s are not able to access blospot even now. i wonder why.
your theories, please.

Speech is Golden said...

geez priya! already there is a hot american woman waiting outside my door, to recruit me into CIA for leaking the inside story on blog ban. u want the software companies version too?

ok! here is wat happened? the bosses have realised how much time their employees actually spend blogging when they should be working, writing codes, debugging them and u know the works. so they decided, if india has to compete in the world market and beat China and blah! blah! blah! then the only way is to ban blogging. in the interest of economic growth

Speech is Golden said...

Lalita!

Anytime. I scratch ur back, u scratch mine ;)

Lalita said...

As if. Don't make me laugh. Okay, scratch that, since I need a few laughs. :D

Levity aside, this is going to lose steam and will be forgotten once Indi bloggers can be read again without the intervention of anonymisers, I am afraid.

Even righteous anger can't be sustained for long periods.

Human nature, what to do?

Anonymous said...

i think that's what happened in the place im interning. i think the network admin saw that traffic to blogspot increased as soon as i joined.

Shashi Iyer said...

where are those posts we mortals can savour?

Speech is Golden said...

priya! blogging is the bane of all ppl with a job. i spend so much time writing my blogs or reading others, that i may thank my network admin if he blocks blogspot. but i can't stop blogging on my own voilition.

Speech is Golden said...

shash!

these ARE topics for us mortals to savour. wat YOU write is for immortals. your 'parturient moon'. (and i don't mean tht as a compliment)

jhantu said...

any piblicity id damn good publicity i say, nice post about the matris though

Shashi Iyer said...

oh u dont know how to lie :P