Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Review: The other side of outsourcing

Jus came across this Discovery-Times documentary by Thomas Friedman on the web - The other side of outsourcing. I should admit that I was a bit skeptical about it to start with. Thomas Friedman may have won three Pulitzers but it takes more than that to convince me. I do not subscribe to some of his views...mainly his McDonalds theory which effectively says that
no two countries that both had a McDonald's had fought a war against each other, since each got its McDonald's

his optimism that 'The world is flat' and Globalisation is the way to go. Added to that was the fact that I recently read One night at call center by Chetan Bhagat and was so bowled over by the narration and some of the points raised by Vrrooom in the book.

I was sure that 'The other side of outsourcing' was just going to show the tech-savvy Indian guy/gal talking in American accents about what a great life this was; throw in a lament about the loss of American jobs, and how 'cheap' it is for corporations to hire these highly qualified Indian youngsters (a statement like, "For 300 dollars a month you get professional TechSupport that wouldn't cost less than 3000 in America) and ofcourse the quintessential Indian thing to any westerner, cows in the middle of the road (a lot better if it is a bullock cart among speeding cars). Poverty stricken children with flies in their face would be extra (but thats if he wants another Pulitzer...yikes I am getting cynical).

Well! 'The other side of outsourcing' does all that. And goes on to do a bit more.

Social issues are discussed briefly. How the new found independence and 'disposable' income (whatever that is) changes lifestyles and the growing divide between the generations. Some reminders that India is becoming a mini-America and views on whether it is good or bad. A goldie from the documentary, "Humans are turned in to consumers and the world into a market place"

Quite contrary to my expectations Friedman actually talked about problems that India faces now and listens to views from people like Ramesh (Janagrahaa), someone from RSS, even anti-globalisation ones.

I would say it is a good watch, maybe even a must-see. Illuminating on some major concerns, something that in India policy makers and national leaders are less willing to accept.

I am impressed with Friedman's views
  • for globalisation to work, it should reach everyone in the society; rich and poor, urban and rural
  • globalisation cannot be at the expense of losing the cultural identity
  • glocalisation is the way to go - globalisation with a local tang

P.S. I cannot but get angry when someone like Azim Premji says that America holds the edge in innovation and will continue to hold that. Why can't we be innovative? Or rather, what can we do to make sure that we are? I mean its not like I am anti-American. I have nothing against the common American. Corporations, greedy governments, imperialist policies... YUP! But I can't understand why India should bow and genuflect to America b'coz they can innovate and we can't (???).

Anywayz that is a little over my expertise. Maybe I misunderstand him and maybe my patriotism blinds me. Or maybe he is right.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or maybe Azim Premji is jus playing to the audience.

Lax

Speech is Golden said...

Agreed! Azim Premji may have just said that to please the American public who are upset about being Bangalored.

But this is not anything new. Earlier some top IT guy (I forget who) spoke along the same line, saying business will have to be generated only in the States and that Indian IT ppl are fit only for doing what is told

Anonymous said...

I don't see why people are talking against outsourcing. Seriously Indian youth would not get a job with a decent pay if it were not for these BPOs. There will be rampant unemployment, I say.

Anu

Speech is Golden said...

Agreed Anu! But is underemployment any better than unemployment. These youngsters are doing jobs which are much much less than their capabilities. I am concerned that we are encouraging a generation of underachievers, a bunch of serfs. If it is not so, then I am only too happy.

Dean Velasquez said...

One of the biggest advantages of outsourcing to India is cost savings. The lower cost of operation and labor makes it attractive to outsource.

Hero said...

Making cooking a little easier. It's hard, it takes time and who's got the time after a long day of work, looking after kids and being on your feet all day ? I bet you don't and neither do I.. making cheap and tasty modern day meal kits the new normal among all the changes going on in our world today. meal kits

James said...


interim manager

Rafid said...

Outpatient Addiction Treatment Programs Are you in need of an Addiction Treatment Program? Choosing a Drug Rehab ,Alcohol Rehab or any Addiction Treatment program does not have to be a difficult task.

AR Rahman said...

AKtuAlity

Mira said...

BYDlenÍ

AR Rahman said...

placidyl high,
Placidyl,