Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Rang De Basanti and the unfortunate Horse

I knew it would happen but it still bums me out. Rang De Basanti like Chennai rains, was hit with controversy after controversy. First it was the Defence, particularly the AirForce which had to watch and clear the movie. Just to make sure there wasn't anything degrading about the AirForce. Rumour has it that they portrayed the pathetic conditions of the should-have-been-retired-long-long-ago MiGs, dubbed Flying Coffins by some pilots. I guess the scene where the technicians on the ground were betting on whether the plane would crash before or after ten minutes got the scissors. I bemoan the day when I decided not to join IAF... I would have atleast got to watch a movie before it was released to the world. Cool, uh?

Of course another controversy regards to permission from a martyr pilot's family surfaced in between and sizzled out. Arguments have been going on elsewhere if Aamir could rework the DilChahthaHai magic. And if he could pass to be a 'young' man. But I swear, this one beats them all.

The Animal Welfare Board would not let Aamir ride horseback and delayed the release of Rang De Basanti. I mean I am all for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and I fully appreciate efforts to make sure we don't act like animals to animals. And of course the poor horse... running with Aamir on the back is no fun. And for a pittance, perhaps all of a bale of green juicy grass. At least for all its efforts it was hoping to grab some on-screen time, some fame. Even that, is now not possible. Would Aamir run with a horse on his back even if we gave him a crore?

This is the messed up part. My understanding here is that AWB wanted that scene censored not because it had a sudden affection to the plight of horses but simply that their permission was not sought. Surely the film-makers cannot have forgotten them. Ya...right!

I mean how the hell would I know that I had to take permission for riding the horse. If, on the other hand there was a scene where the horse was whipped, tortured to tell the secret location of the gold casket or raped, I understand a permission from the AWB was understandable, even necessary. But someone riding a horse. What was that all about??? Its not like he was 'riding' the horse, if you know what I mean.

OK! You all film makers, note! Before you think of taking a film, of course the thought should not occur to you without the permission of proper authorities, you could submit the script for review by any association, board, government authority, the idli paati behind Vadapalani temple just so they don't come with objections 2 days before you want to release the movie. Or better, considering that most movies are direct rip-offs of some other movie, you could screen the original for these authorities.

And if your film is so bad that nobody even bothers to find fault with it, you could yourself place an ad in a newspaper, in an alias ofcourse saying that the film was against the moral and ethical creed of Indians. That should bring the crowd in.

No comments: