Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Producers

I hate doing this, turning my blog into a Friday Review of sorts. I have to admit... with 'The Producers' though, a review is irresistable.

Personally, I am no big fan of Musicals. In Indian movies, perhaps I am OK with it... infact it would be real odd if there weren't the song-dance sequence in one. But Hollywood Musicals... naaaa. I hated Chicago. And Moulin Rogue... I couldn't even sit through it. The only exception to the I-hate-musical was Sound of Music... I must have watched a zillion times. Then why, one may wonder that I chose to watch a musical. The answer alas is simple... I wanted to get to bed early. You see 'The producers' was the earliest movie to begin yesternight. (Tuesdays are 'special' at Hoyts Cinema and we had to watch a movie- any movie)

'The Producers' was without doubt the funniest musical I have ever seen (and I have seen so few) and I absolutely loved it. The story revolves around a Broadway producer, Max and an accountant, Leo in an attempt to produce the greatest flop of all time. Needless to say, they end up creating a hit (in a very 'Crazy Mohan'ish fashion). Throw in a gorgeous Uma Thurman and you have a WINNER.

Leo's blue blanket to Adolf Elizabeth Hitler's springtime, the movie was a laugh riot. The songs were hilarious. 'We can do it' and 'Unhappy' in the beginning were indicators of what was to come and every one of them was laudably laughable, especially 'Hail me'. Perhaps the most comic moments were when Max tells the Swedish Uma Thurman, "Though we are sitting, consider it a standing ovation", the Neo-Nazi, Hitler worshipper doing the Hitler dance and ofcourse, the 'gay' scenes. Ooooooh! Ooooooh!

'The producers' may not become a classic...and I see it hasn't won the Golden Globes. But it was worth a good laugh. Much more than a good laugh actually.

No comments: