Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Music to ears

A.R. Rahman is touring Australia. A statement despite its seeming insignificance sends electric pulses racing through the nervous system causing loud cheering, yelping, hooting and involuntary fits of banging the two palms together. Yes! Rahman will tour Australia with concerts in Sydney and Melbourne this September. And it is not just Rahman, singers and musicians including Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Sadhana Sargam, Alka Yagnik, Chitra, Kailesh Kher and Sivamani will also be part of these musical extravaganzas.

The concerts are organised by Charindaa to assist destitute children in India. Cricketing legend Steve Waugh, former captain of the Aussie team, is the Chief Patron of Udayan, the Child Leprosy Centre in Kolkata, which will be one of the major benificiaries.
Now for more loud cheering, yelping, hooting and involuntary fits of banging the two palms together. I got my tickets!!! Yipeeeeeee!!!!

That Rahman is relatively unknown to the 'Australian' audience despite his popular musical 'Bombay Dreams' (and Warriors of Heaven and Earth) has not detracted it from being a sell-out event. I guess there are soooooo many Indians down under that it wouldn't matter at all. Still, will have to point out that 'Bollywood' has got the Australians curious (especially after Oprah's show with Ais) and they totally adore the colourful dance sequences (of turning the bulb and tapping the ball at the same time).

It is a different issue that when I try convincing them that there is more to Indian cinema than 'Bollywood' I am laughed at. (Who am I kidding? The way things are going Bollywood would be the only Indian cinema. And my friends here would end up attending my marriage and demanding that people break into a dance for no reason every three and a half minutes).

Incidentally, Rahman has recently accepted to compose music for the theatre production of "Lord of the Rings" (we'll look forward to it doubly eagerly).

P.S. Stevie has promised he will attend atleast one of the concerts and I am praying it is Sydney

No comments: