Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Adaptation

I was in New York a little while back and I did what New Yorkers do (in my imagination); lie lazily in Central Park between trips to the MoMA and Met, with a copy of New Yorker. I read among other things a glowing profile of John Green, an author, vlogger and all-round nerdfighter. I was beyond intrigued and bought a copy of his latest book 'The Fault in our Stars'. I read it in a day and I haven't wept so much in like forever (I think the last weeping was post-M heartbreak in 2008). And thus began an obsession with all things Green. 

However....

Returning from the TFioS screening, I have to share my disappointment. Don't get me wrong, they were true to the book but I felt like something was missing. You know how for instance they made the Harry Potter movies but made them like a bunch of muggles... without the magic and sense of wonder. I thought the movie lacked the soul of the book. 

Wait, Can books have souls? 




No comments: