Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Friday, July 03, 2009

377

I embrace the scores of Indian men and women who have, by the Delhi court ruling overturning IPC 377, been deemed no longer criminals. Besides the fact that it is a regressive, archaic and discriminatory law, I wonder how one would (or did) even enforce such a law. Did the cops break into bedrooms in the middle of the night? (I recall a scene in 'The West Wing' where Sam Seaborn is bemused by the news that a town in Alabama wants to abolish all laws but the ten commandments. He wonders how one would enforce, say, coveting thy neighbours wife)

I admit there was a time when I was... homophobe is too strong a word, and implies active hate/disgust... confused. I just didn't get it. When I was share-house hunting in Canberra, I turned down a place because one of the guys was gay. I have educated myself in GLBT issues since. A certain lack of awareness does breed prejudice. I have friends who have opened my eyes to theories of sexuality, to not looking at homosexuality as deviance, to the fundamental principles of tolerance and human rights. (Max - I dedicate this post to you)

We are all threatened by the unknown, distrustful of the different.
No more.

I guess it is a far way to go to be truly free of social stigma. We need to banish discrimination from our hearts but banishing legalised gay-bashing is a good beginning.

To more victories

No comments: