Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Evasion

Thinking is man's only basic virtue, from which all the others proceed. And his basic vice, the source of all his evils, is that nameless act which all of you practice, but struggle never to admit: the act of blanking out, the willful suspension of one's consciousness, the refusal to think - not blindness, but the refusal to see; not ignorance, but the refusal to know. It is the act of unfocusing your mind and inducing inner fog to escape the responsibility of judgment-on the unstated premise that a thing will not exist if only you refuse to identify it, that A will not be A so long as you do not pronounce the verdict "It is." Non-thinking is an act of annihilation, a wish to negate existence, an attempt to wipe out reality. But existence; reality is not to be wiped out, it will merely wipe out the wiper. By refusing to say "It is," you are refusing to say "I am." By suspending your judgment, you are negating your person. When a man declares: "Who am I to know?" he is declaring: "Who am I to live?"

(I think Ayn Rand wrote that. Found it on the net and am thinking about it. I am a certified Evader and this is like a slap on my face. Hoping to find a valid counter argument. This is going to be a slap-fest)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dumb-founded!

tell me when u get one :)

Anonymous said...

deiiiiii mama.. marubadiyum ippadi vetti kada elutha aaramichittiyaa?

time to come back I guess.

L :)
PS: Am I supposed to comment about about wat u had written? I guess I wont this time.

Anonymous said...

ada paavi...
naan oru rendu maasam un blog padikkala, ivvalo eluthu irukke?
vela vetti e illaiya unakku?

L