Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Like at first sight

I nose dove in like. Yup! This one is for real. Haaahaaa

I did not know anything about her, all I had was a smile and eyes that were full of joy. It could have simply been that she had come well prepared to this exam. Yes, it happened in the examination hall. She was a final year Computer Science student and was sitting for, oh! it doesn't matter, does it? Anyway, I was the invigilator in her hall. Oh! Come on! Don't look so scandalous. I know what you are thinking. I am a teacher and she was a student and you think it is wrong. Hey! We haven't even come to the stage of the story where it is appropriate to be shocked.

In my defence, though I am a teacher and she a student, she wasn't MY student. Hell! She wasn't even in the same college. Yes, this was in a college where I had been appointed as an external invigilator. So, as you can clearly see, she wasn't my student and I had no scruples holding me back.

Holding me back from what, you ask me. I had fallen in like at first sight. Don't roll your eyes. I didn't say, LOVE at first sight. I simply liked the way she held herself and thought that this was a person I could be comfortable around. You know, it is quite natural to like or dislike a person based purely on first impressions. Of course, first impressions can be misleading but how can you know that unless you had a chance to make second and third impressions.

That, therefore was the plan. I wanted to ask her out for coffee. Don't laugh at me. I know it is an alien concept here but a coffee date is safe and simple. I mean, it takes up less energy, time and money. And there is ample time for conversation and an hour with a person should give you enough data to decide if you wanted to invest on another date. I should admit, though, I didn't know how she would react.

The bigger problem was how was I going to ask her? And perhaps more importantly, when? Surely, even if I gathered enough guts to ask her and knew the words to do that, I couldn't ask her in the middle of an examination if she would come out with me.

I thought of a cunning plan. Yes! you are right. I had too much time to kill. Three hours of doing nothing but walk around a 25x20 feet room.

Logistically, I would have very little time after the exam to make my move, if I had any. A minute at the most. And there would be people around; other students. And logically, there was always the off-chance that she would slap me or start crying or get her classmates to kick my butt. Make that most probably.

Don't get impatient. I am coming to my cunning plan. I decided that asking her out is an elaborate process and since I did not have time for that now, I should create time for it later. Obviously, I couldn't meet her again (remember it is not my college) without being obvious that I am interested in her. So my cunning plan was... wait for it... to give her... are you ready for it: a note.

Stop laughing. It is not funny.

Maybe it is. A little.

But that is not all. The note wouldn't be something lame like, 'I like you', or 'You are so beautiful' or even 'Will you have coffee with me?'. The note will have my blog address. That's right! This very blog.

Laugh all you want but hear me out, will ya?

The idea was to not get slapped. I mean not put her or myself in an embarrassing situation. Nobody could blame me for asking her to check a website. They might think I was desperate for some readership but that wouldn't be so bad. I could do with more readers.

OK! She got the note. She thinks it is a weird request. She wonders if I am crazy. What next, you ask me.

The plan was to get her curious enough to check out my blog. There I could put up a post asking her out for coffee. If she was interested, anonymous commenting is enabled, she could leave me a message. Or mail me at the email id in my profile. And yes, it would also help her form an opinion of the kind of person I am.

What! You think she wouldn't want to go out with me after reading what I put up on my blogs. You don't know that. Lots of people think I am adorable. Anyway, I think it is only fair that she knows what to expect of me. She needs to be prepared if she was going to accept.

What if she wasn't interested? Simple. She wouldn't leave a message. Or worst case... leave a crappy one, calling me all sort of names. Well! I am the moderator of my blog, right? I could just delete it and nobody needs to know.

Either way, I couldn't lose. The plan was perfect.

Is the suspense killing you? Are you dying to know if I did ask her? I am not going to tell you.

What do you think? Did I or didn't I?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

saar, ingenious.
but you need to make sure that post asking her out is on top for a good amount of time... so does that mean no posting for the next couple of months?
if you were on wordpress, you could have tried a private post, and given her, and only her, the password... that would have made her more curious maybe.
novel technique. i guess this will go through a lot of improvement... version 1.1 isn't that bad. stands out for its shock value and innovation.
so... DID YOU DO IT? coz if it did work fine, there are lots of folks simply waiting to smoothen the technique.

Anonymous said...

I can see this post is an elaborate ploy to get me to have coffee with you. I'd hoped that bit of paper contained the answer to the question I was struggling with.

Coffee! Bah! No, I don't drink coffee.

Anonymous said...

Sir, what if somebody (like me) leaves an anon message accepting to go to coffee with you, just for fun?

Unknown said...

definetly a cunning/clever shot on the gal :D

Anonymous said...

or maybe some of your own prankster friends leave an anon comment with appointment date and time ... just to mock you once you reach there... I'd love to do that with some of my friends >:-)

Speech is Golden said...

Wanderlust: Passworded private post is not a bad idea...but too much effort (for the girl). Anywayz, I do not hold the copyrights on this algorithm and the source code is free for all to modify and use.

p.s. I think it is immaterial if I did it or if it was successful.

Girl in the exam hall: Icecream, may be???

Adi and Anon: That is a gamble I am willing to take. Remember that I know her (it is not a blind date). SO the worst tht cud happen is me in a coffee shop drinking my latte alone, book in hand. Thats not too bad, is it?

Jam said...

He he he,

This reminds me of an experience in my life, around 6 yrs ago in a Pizza Hut in Nungambakkam Chennai.

Maybe I ll put up a post about it soon.

Small teaser though: It was my Business Card with my mail id and not my blog url, coz I didn't have a blog then.

Cheers.......Jam

TheQuark said...

You have killed two birdies with one post. Keeping the readers hooked for next one, keep 'em guessing like a pot boiler (Kya hoga janane ke liye dekhe. Jald hi aa raha hai aapke nazdeek ke browser tab main)

Sending the message to the lady too

Anonymous said...

absolutely beautiful :)
The flow is fantastic.

harry said...

Master Stroke... ingenious..whether it suceeds or not,if a girl did that to me i would have been floored... u got style and flair comrade..btw, moi too a gemini and almost share the same attributes as yaa..

Anonymous said...

amazing!!
**giggles giggles!!

really but how will you know if she is the anon?

i m sure yu ended up with at least the ice-cream ;)

Unknown said...

WTF. Suddenly all the good things are like happening to you. First you see good girls. Then you get 12 comments.

Bitchface!

Better link me soon.

enigma said...

awwwwwwwwwww....not fair...i need to kno wat happened...knowin me..i think u wud hav judged tht i am dying to kno wat happnd....grrr:p....but it was a realllllllllllllllllly cute post!!...she must be crazy to say no:p...lolz!!;)