Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Confessions of an eavesdropper

I don't do that often, he began, but this amazing thing happened to me yesterday. If I had a blog, I would write about it.

Having had nothing to write about for a while, I was more than just interested.

He went on.

I don't usually take the share auto. Not good for my back, you see. But the buses were so crowded and it looked like it might rain. Anyway, I got into this auto and a stop later, three girls got in. The girls were quite young. Fresh out of college, I'd guess. Working in some software company, carrying laptops, and wearing fancy slippers, vain about earning all that big bucks before they even knew the value of money.

Anyway, you know how girls are? They are gossipy and not really discreet. Even in public. The object of discussion today, was the love affair of one of them, a certain Lavanya. She wasn't drop dead gorgeous, but was quite pretty. I wasn't listening or anything but I understood from their chat that this Lavanya girl was in love with a guy called Dominic. The problem was that not only was he a couple of years younger than her, he was a good-for-nothing loafer who made no attempt to qualify himself for a decent job. This has been the bone of contention for a while now and though they fight often, their love is so strong, it endures all. Of course it hasn't stopped Lavanya from feeling hurt.

One of her friends, the girl in the green salwar, she looked quite sensible, you know; she tried to be supportive. Told her that she must try avoiding him for a while and that only then, he will realise her true worth and return to her a better man. Fair enough, I thought. Lavanya, already on the verge of crying, replied that she couldn't possibly do that. The maximum she has been away from him was a day and a half. "He has other friends and other pastimes. What am I to do without him?", she asked and like a sign the phone beeped. She picked it up and it was apparent that it was from this Dominic fellow. I tell you, her face grew a few shades brighter.

Obviously, I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation but from what I could gather, he wanted to meet her to discuss something and she was trying to tell him that she was halfway home. He convinced her that it was very important. She didn't need much convincing, if you ask me. Anyway she said she would wait near the post office, hung up and requested the autodriver to pull over. The ever supportive friends brigade walked out with her. Moral support, I believe is the word used there.

Anyway, I have been thinking about it all of yesternight. What do you think happened? Are they still together? Has he agreed to make an effort? What was the 'important' thing? I tell you, the next time, I see her or one of her friends in the auto stand, I will walk up and ask. The suspense; it is unbearable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

similar suspense here... one junior of mine used to yak away on her mobile in the staircase of the seniors' [my] wing. It was like a megaserial, the tale of her, her "stud-boy", her sister, her sister's boyfriend and many other characters. A twinge of regret passed through me when we pulled her leg during the freshers party about it. it quite obviously meant not knowing what happened to all of them.

Anonymous said...

Such a delicious distraction.

Prufrockster said...

Well written, Pal!

However, I found it a little noxious that you had to ruminate over that silly episode.

Oh, I forget. You're INFJ. :)