Time whizzes by and I, I write of glimpses I steal

Monday, April 16, 2007

Wanna go for a drive?

There are no two opinions about it: driving in India is a nightmare. It's not that the traffic is undisciplined; it is so chaotic, it is a jungle out there. No! Jungles have certain rules about them. For instance, you wouldn't see a deer chase down a cheetah and paw it down on the National Geographic, would you? So! lawless jungle it is. And what an endearing lawless jungle it is.

And did I tell you the roads were a joke. Case in point, my autorickshaw ride from Dombivili West to East. I was visiting Mumbai to attend a wedding and the nice south Indian boy that I am, I decided to wear a dhoti for the big occassion. For those of you unfamiliar with the dhoti, it is a white piece of cloth that you drape around your waist, like a toga. I am not totally unused to it myself and can pull it off any day of the week. This particular ride was a little over 3 kms. And by the time I reached my destination, the dhoti had loosened to such an extent that I had not a little trouble getting out without making an exhibition of myself. Later, I ran three flights of stairs and half a dozen times while I was at it and nothing happened to the dhoti. It stayed on my self like a stain on a new dress.

The cloud, however is not without its silver lining. For starters, it is a good physical workout. Some say, better than an hour at the gym. Also, driving on such roads detracts people from over-eating (lest they throw up on the way). The National Obesity Institute says that people who have to drive more than 5 kms in a day are less prone to obesity. They also point that the hearts are stronger because they can't be scared by sudden events. Like an old lady (with two bags of groceries in her hand and a bag of flour perched precariously on her head), jumping in front of your speeding car or a cyclist who hurls himself from the left corner to the right end with a bus on his tail. You try scaring someone on the roads, cry boo, wear a dracula costume with red blood dripping from your fangs. Zilch. Nada. You wouldn't get as much as a moan.

In the boring west, pedestrians take pride in being able to strut across roads without checking both ways at pedestrian crossings (zebra crossing, if you please). To them, I'll say, here in India, you can walk in the middle of the road with such impunity that one may think that you own the road.

And there is the thrill. People don't have to spend tons of money to holiday in, say, the Gold coast, pay atrocious amounts to enter the theme park and ride on rollercoasters or try bungee jumping. Everyday is a rollercoaster ride. Every trip to office is a near-death experience. No wonder then, that Indians are very philosophical.

Silver lining, I should say it is a silver cloud.

So come on, ye boys and girls. Hearts in your sleeves, put your feet on the brakes and the thumbs on the horn and... lets go for a drive.

2 comments:

Ayshu said...

I was in b'bay recently too and I totally agree to your post!!it was a nightmare to travel by road!!

Speech is Golden said...

i am sure it is not unique to mumbai. chennai is just as bad. and bangalore i hear isn't better either.